Did you know that only 35% of adults have well-aligned front teeth? If you’re in the other 65%, you may be curious about Invisalign pros and cons.
At Penn Dental Family Practice we strive to give it to you straight. We’ve collected the most commonly discussed Invisalign pros and cons for your benefit.
Invisalign has quickly grown from it’s inception in 1997 to a highly accepted practice, treating over 1.5 million patients worldwide. However, it is not a one-size-fits all method. We’ve boiled down the common pros and cons of Invisalign to the top issues we hear from our patients.
► PRACTICALLY INVISIBLE
The number one reason patients choose Invisalign aligners over traditional metal braces is because they are virtually invisible! No more snide comments to your 8th grader from the school bully, or embarrassment for you over braces at age 37. One of the biggest pros Invisalign offers is a way to perfect your smile without the common embarrassment associated with traditional braces.
We all know that traditional braces are on until the entire process is done. What does this mean for cleaning your teeth after that kale salad you had for lunch or that chocolate bar you grabbed for a snack? Well, much more work. Food easily becomes lodged around and in between metal brackets, making the cleaning process much harder for the bearer and bringing an unwanted buildup of plaque.
Conversely, Invisalign aligners are easily removed for proper cleaning, making sure to inhibit any plaque damage to your teeth.
Another hailed benefit of having removable aligners is the ability to eat what you want…no exceptions! Popcorn, caramel, corn on the cob-it’s all fair game.
Metallic braces not only cause more emergencies from a poking wire or broken bracket, but they are also just plain uncomfortable. Having metal continually rubbing up against the side of your mouth can produce irritation, discomfort, and sometimes even open sores.
Invisalign boasts a smooth plastic surface that produces no discomfort to the mouth lining.
The release of toxins in the mouth through metal braces has long provided controversy to various health professionals. However, Invisalign provides a solution to the whole issue with BPA-free plastic liners, free of any harmful toxins.
► Requires Excellent Cooperation
If you don’t follow your dentist’s rules for your Invisalign aligners, you may not see the desired results. The aligners must be worn an average of 22 hours a day. If you tend to be a rule-breaker, Invisalign may not be for you.
► Aligners Need to be Removed Before Meals
As mentioned above, you must remove the aligners before eating or drinking anything but water. While some may consider this a nuisance, we have heard of patients discovering an added benefit of weight loss as they tend not to snack as often during the day.
► Frequent Teeth Cleaning
Invisalign requires a focused attention to oral hygiene. You must brush and floss thoroughly after any food consumption. While this may seem an annoyance at first, many patients have seen an unexpected benefit of improved oral health and teeth whitening during Invisalign treatment because of the frequent dental cleaning.
It’s true that no one thing is perfect. We understand that any method of treating malocclusion comes with some struggle. We are, after all, moving your teeth. However, we hope that these Invisalign pros and cons enable you to understand the whole process better and feel more equipped to make your choice.
Invisalign can be an excellent method of straightening your teeth while allowing you to continue your life uninterrupted. If you feel that Invisalign would be the right fit for you and you can’t wait to get started on a new smile, schedule your free Invisalign consultation with Penn Dental Family Practice today!