Did you know…?
Did you know that dentistry is one of society’s oldest professions? The road towards modern family care dentistry is full of twists and turns. Even now, there are many things about family dental care that might surprise you. Below, we’ve compiled a list of some weird, unexpected, and incredible facts about family dentistry through the ages and how far the profession has advanced today.
- Ancient Sumerians were the first to reference tooth decay in their writings, in 5000 BCE. They called it “tooth worms.”
- Around 2700 BC, ancient Chinese healers used acupuncture to treat the pain caused by tooth decay. Now we know that when tooth decay begins to hurt, that means the decay has passed through the enamel to the dentin layer, As it progresses, tooth decay becomes more serious and can eventually result in the need for a root canal if it is not treated early on.
- Ancient Greeks used donkey’s milk as mouthwash to great effect. The calcium in the milk strengthened people’s teeth! Now, besides improving breath, mouthwash may be prescribed to help treat gum disease.
- A baby’s primary teeth are already present in the jaws at birth. These typically begin to appear when the baby is six months to a year old. So, it’s important to schedule that first dental appointment by their first birthday!
- Tooth decay is the most common childhood disease in America. About 1 in 5 children ages 5 to 11 have at least one untreated cavity. 1 in 7 adolescents ages have at least one untreated decayed tooth.
- People under age 35 tend to lose teeth because of accidents or decay. People over 35 more often lose teeth because of periodontal problems (gum disease). Family dentists treat a wide variety of conditions ranging across all age groups. You can schedule appointments together with parents and children at a family dental practice to ensure that the whole family gets the dental care they need.
- Not all teeth are the same. Most humans use four different types of teeth every day: incisors, canine teeth, premolars, and molars. Your dentist’s mission is to help you keep all of them healthy and whole!
These were our seven favorite dental facts. Which surprised YOU most?
What is a family care provider of dental services?
Family care dentistry is all about providing the full range of dental services. Whether you have a toddler or an older parent living at home, everyone in the family is welcome at Penn Dental Family Practice. Our patients enjoy a warm, friendly atmosphere where they can relax and ask our caring staff any questions they have.
Whether your children are coming in for their first appointment, your teenager needs orthodontic treatment, or someone in your family needs restorative treatment, we offer it all at Penn Dental Family Practice.
You can trust Penn Dental Family Practice for all your family care dentistry needs. Call our family care phone number at 215-898-7337 to get started!