Making a habit of seeing your dentist and brushing your teeth regularly benefits you with healthy teeth and gums, a beautiful smile, and fresh breath. Staying on top of your dental hygiene can reduce the risk of dental problems such a gum disease or tooth loss. Your first line of defense is brushing your teeth daily, but did you know that there is a proper way to brush teeth?
Simple Steps On the Proper Way To Brush Teeth
- Choosing a Toothbrush – Small headed soft-bristled toothbrushes are suggested by most dental professionals. The small headed brushes are able to get to all the areas in your mouth especially those hard to reach spots. A soft-bristled brush is better at removing plaque and other debris in your teeth. Electric toothbrushes are also highly recommended for the most effective brushing.
- Length of time – Most people spend less than 45 seconds brushing their teeth. In order to get a thorough cleaning you MUST brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes each time.
- Twice a day- Generally, you should brush your teeth twice a day. Before you go to bed, and another time during the day. If you have the opportunity you can brush a 3rd time or preferably after each meal.
- Brushing at an Angle – At a 45 degree angle, brush the inner and outer surfaces with short strokes against the gum line.
- Molars – Place the bristles flat on our molars and brush back and forth.
- Inside surfaces – Use the tip of your toothbrush, tilt vertically, and use up and down motions to remove the plaque.
- Gum line – Be sure to brush gently on your gum line. Making sure the bristles get under your gums – gently!
Taking these simple steps on the proper way to brush teeth is important to us at Penn Dental Family Practice. In addition to properly brushing your teeth it’s important to see a dentist regularly. If you’re in need of a cleaning or any other oral health care needs contact us today at 215-898-PDFP(7337).