Before you choose invisible braces consider all the factors
As many people know by now, invisible braces are a clear plastic (BPA-free) alignment system that is an alternative to braces. This alternative orthodontic treatment has grown in popularity among teens and adults for its nearly imperceptible aligners. In fact, a survey conducted in 2014, by the American Association of Orthodontics reported a record high of 1.5 million adults as orthodontic patients. The surge in adult patients may be due to the popularity of alternative braces such as invisible braces which allow the patient to correct imperfections in their smile without drawing attention to the process.
The upside is that more and more people are realizing the importance of their oral health. But is there a downside? As with any health decision, there are always pros and cons. So, it’s important to discuss these issues with your orthodontist. If you’re considering orthodontic treatment it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of invisible braces.
The Pros and Cons of Invisible Braces
So what are some of the invisible braces pros and cons you should consider? Below we’ll list some of the common benefits and concerns of invisible braces.
Pros of Invisible Braces
- Clear Aligners – As already mentioned, invisible braces are clear and almost invisible, making the process of improving your smile a little less noticeable. No need to worry about brackets, wires, or bands cramping your smile or your style.
- Shorter Treatment Time – Braces have to be worn 24/7 for up to 3 years depending on the reason for needing braces and the severity of the issue. With invisible braces, not only is the treatment time shorter (up to 12 months), but the clear aligners are removable giving you the ability to take a short break from your treatment.
- No Food Restrictions – Invisible braces give you the freedom of eating what you want when you want. There are no food restrictions like you’d experience with braces. Simply remove your aligners when you’re ready to eat or drink. Then, remember to brush your teeth before you put your aligners back on.
- Comfort – When you think orthodontics, comfort isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. Invisible braces are different! Other orthodontic treatments may cause mouth and gum irritation, but with invisible braces, you experience none of those issues.
Cons of Invisible Braces
- Treatment Limitations – While invisible braces can correct gaps, crowded teeth, overbites, and underbites it can’t treat severe cases. If you’re considering invisible braces, it’s important to consult an orthodontist to determine the best course of action.
- Required Compliance – While invisible braces can be removed at any time, they do need to be worn up to 22 hours a day to get the results you desire. If you’re forgetful or unable to keep them in your mouth for at least 22 hours, invisible braces may not be for you.
At Penn Dental Family Practice, we can discuss the pros and cons of invisible braces with you and help you make the best choice for your situation. Contact us today to schedule an appointment or for more information about the pros and cons of invisible braces.